- Twitter was created in March 2006 by Jack Dorsey and launched in July of that year.
- Twitter’s origins lie in a “day long brainstorming session” that was held by board members of the podcasting company Odeo. While sitting in a park on a children’s slide and eating Mexican food, Dorsey introduced the idea of an individual using an SMS service to communicate with a small group.
- The first Twitter prototype was used as an internal service for Odeo employees and the full version was introduced publicly on July 15, 2006
- The original project code name for the service was ‘twttr‘, an idea that Williams later ascribed to Noah Glass, inspired by the name of the social media image website ‘Flickr’ and the five-character length of American SMS short codes.
- The team finally settled on the name ‘twitter‘, which means ‘chirps from birds’ in essence ‘a short burst of inconsequential information’
- The tipping point for Twitter’s popularity was the 2007 South by Southwest (SXSW) festival. During the event, Twitter usage increased from 20,000 tweets per day to 60,000.
- It had 400,000 tweets posted per quarter in 2007
- In 2008 there were only 3 million registered users
- In 2008 there were only 1.25 million tweets per day
- Jan 2008 there were only 8 employees
- In 2009 or 3 years ago had 8 million registered users
- In 2011 there are now over 400 employees
- 75% of Twitter traffic comes from third-party applications
- 60% of all tweets come from third-party apps
- There are over 100,000 Twitter applications
- A Forrester report revealed that “Twitterers are the connected of the connected, overindexing at all Social Media habits. For example, Twitterers are three times more likely to be Creators (people who create and share content via blog posts and YouTube) as the general US population” (source Forrester report “Who Flocks to Twitter”)
- 3 years, 2 months and 1 day…the time it took from the first tweet to the billionth tweet.
- It now takes one week for users to send a billion Tweets.
- In March 2010 the average number of tweets people sent per week was the the 350 million.
- 140 million is the average number of tweets people sent per day in February 2011
- 177 million tweets sent on March 11, 2011.
- When Michael Jackson died on June 25, 2009 there were 456 tweets per second (TPS)…a record at that time.
- The current TPS record is 6,939 tweets per second set 4 seconds after midnight in Japan on New Year’s Day
- 572,000 is the number of new accounts created in one day (March 12, 2011)
- 460,000 is the average number of new accounts per day created in February, 2011
- 182% is the increase in number of mobile users over the past year.
- In March 2011 there are an estimated 225 million users
- 25 billion tweets sent on Twitter in 2010
- 100 million new accounts added on Twitter in 2010
- The first unassisted off-Earth Twitter message was posted from the International Space Station by NASA astronaut T. J. Creamer on January 22, 2010
- 1 in every 13 people on Earth is on Facebook
- 35+ demographic represents more than 30% of the entire user base
- 71.2 % of all USA internet users are on Facebook
- In 20 minutes 1,000,000 links are shared on Facebook
- In 20 minutes 1,484,000 event invites are posted
- In 20 minutes 1,323,000 photos are tagged
- In 20 minutes 1,851,000 status updates are entered
- In 20 minutes 1.972 million friend requests are accepted
- In 20 minutes 2,716,000 photos are uploaded
- In 20 minutes 2,716,000 messages are sent
- In 20 minutes 10.2 million comments are posted
- In 20 minutes 1,587,000 wall posts are written
- 750 million photos were uploaded to Facebook over New Year’s weekend
- 48% of young Americans said they found out about news through Facebook
- 48% of 18 to 34 year olds check Facebook right when they wake up
- 50% of active users log on to Facebook in any given day
- Average user has 130 friends
- People spend over 700 billion minutes per month on Facebook
- There are over 900 million objects that people interact with (pages, groups, events and community pages)
- Average user is connected to 80 community pages, groups and events
- Average user creates 90 pieces of content each month
- More than 30 billion pieces of content (web links, news stories, blog posts, notes, photo albums, etc.) shared each month.
- More than 70 translations available on the site
- About 70% of Facebook users are outside the United States
- Over 300,000 users helped translate the site through the translations application
- Entrepreneurs and developers from more than 190 countries build with Facebook Platform
- People on Facebook install 20 million applications every day
- Every month, more than 250 million people engage with Facebook on external websites
- Since social plugins launched in April 2010, an average of 10,000 new websites integrate with Facebook every day
- More than 2.5 million websites have integrated with Facebook, including over 80 of comScore’s U.S. Top 100 websites and over half of comScore’s Global Top 100 websites
- There are more than 250 million active users currently accessing Facebook through their mobile devices
- People that use Facebook on their mobile devices are twice as active on Facebook than non-mobile users.
- There are more than 200 mobile operators in 60 countries working to deploy and promote Facebook mobile products
- Al Pacino’s face was on the original Facebook homepage
- One early Facebook function was a file sharing service
- The first “Work Networks” as well as the original educational networks included Apple and Microsoft
- The meaning of the term poke has never been defined
- There is an ‘App’ to see what’s on the Facebook cafe menu
- Mark Zuckerburg (CEO of Facebook) calls himself a “Harvard Graduate” when in fact he didn’t graduate (apparently his reply is that “there isn’t a setting for dropout”)
- Australian’s spend more time per month on Facebook than any other country at over 7 hours on average
- A Facebook employee hoodie sold for $4,000 on eBay
- Facebook was initially bank-rolled by Peter Thiel the co-founder of PayPal for $500,000
- It is the second biggest website by traffic behind Google (at the moment)
- Facebook is now valued at approximately $80 billion
- Facebook makes money through advertising and virtual products
- Facebook was almost shut down by a lawsuit by ConnectU who claimed that Zuckerburg stole the idea and Technology for Facebook (the issue was settled out of court)
- The USA has the largest Facebook user base with 155 million people which represents 23.6% of Facebook’s total users
- There is over 16,000,000 Facebook fan pages
- Texas Hold’em Poker is the most popular Facebook page with over 41 million fans
- More than 650 million active users
There are some...
Just a note to myself about jobs for bloggers.
When I started my blog in 2001., there were no available jobs for bloggers and no job description for such title.
Now, in 2012., I am aware of the few such jobs, so I'll just quote some descriptions, this one is for medical blog site copywriter:
We require content written for a clients new web site.
We estimate each piece of copy will be between 500-1000 words. The text will aim to give a detailed overview of the treatment, and answer common questions about the treatment giving the reader an indication of whether the treatment would be right for them.
All of the copy will have to have to follow strong brand guidelines, and an in depth medical knowledge of the treatments. This company are doctor led, so require a high degree of medical knowledge throughout the site copy.
If you think this sounds like something you would like to work on then could you answer the following questions. We will be starting the work almost immediately so if you fit the profile of someone we are looking for then you will be contacted with specific requirements and article titles.
• How much do you charge? (Cost per word)
• On average how quickly could you turn around a 500-1000 word article?
• Could you please provide examples of applicable relevant copy, and provide a brief description of experience relevant to this task?
• Do you have sufficient medical knowledge?
Following description is for blog writer by some media company:
We are looking for a flexible content writer to provide engaging, topical guest posts on a wide variety of subjects.
Most good blog owners will not accept generic posts that don't add value to their blog, so we're looking for someone who can provide bulk orders of interesting content that will appeal to bloggers and would be appealing to their readers.
This type of blogging tends to require a small amount of research to produce posts along the lines of '5 ways to reduce your energy bills today' or 'the funniest socks ever made' - the titles will be for you to write, but we will provide keywords for SEO purposes.
You can't blog me away
Time to celebrate a bit. It's more than 10 years of my blogging with Blogger.com and Blogspot.com.
The first blog post is dated January 19th 2002. It was very revealing for me, I still remember those days.
It was real epiphany. Writing on the Web without any technical knowledge for HTML or web design. After setting up my blog, It took me only few moments to publish my first post. At first, I wrote in croatian, later on from around mid 2005 , I started to write posts in english.
I fell in love with blogging and ''everything blog''.
Throught the years, I wrote blogs with TypePad, Moveable Type , Blog.hr and many other blog tools. I become an expert for this. Later on, consultant for blogging.
The crucial moment for me was in the summer of 2003. when I got mail from Dario Markus, a young and talented IT journalist at the time, who had similar dreams to mine.
He wanted to start blogging service in Croatia. At the time, blogging was almost unknown in southeastern Europe ( even in Western Europe ).
So we did it. Blog.hr went public in 2004. and it was extremelly popular blogging service which eventually became one of the most visited websites in Croatia. Later, the blogging service was sold to an american company.
I feel proud for my persistance and endurance on this Blogger-based blog which I write to these days.
It was a great year. I don't count assholes on the road.
+ 10 340 points of experience. + 120 000 karma points. Health just fine. Got my mojo started in every corner of my zen interest. $$$$
Just great year, the best so far. And this year will be even better.
To say few things:
- done 21 live performances of folk music
- played guitar session with Slasgh
- had vodka with Ronnie Wood
- wrote 12 screenplays
- founded NLP cooperative
- worked as a waiter for many nights
- got my own apartment
- 3 days of full time nudism with great people
- brokered business for Qatar hedge fund
- consulted some of the top emerging entreprenurs in internet matters
- got published my short novel
- invested in social media PR agency with monthly growth of 130 %
- grow spiritualy, found my zen
- went to classes for connosieur
- organised 4 Web events
- wrote curriculum NLP for courtisans
- co-founded lounge music radio
- cooperated with UC University on Kansius machine
- meet some realy good people
And helluva more.
Kick the champagne ;)